• Users Online: 289
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 30  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 665-669

Levels of salivary immunoglobulin a and immunoglobulin G in type 2 diabetic patients


1 Department of Chemical Pathology, University College Hospital, Ibadan; Department of Chemical Pathology, Babcock University Teaching Hospital, Ilisan, Nigeria
2 Department of Chemical Pathology, Babcock University Teaching Hospital, Ilisan, Nigeria
3 Department of Chemical Pathology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
4 Department of Chemical Pathology, Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Olatunde A Olayanju
Department of Chemical Pathology, Babcock University Teaching Hospital, Ilisan
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/NJM.NJM_104_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disorder of glucose metabolism and it is associated with a compromised oral immunity. Salivary immunoglobulins offer a comprehensive protection for the oral cavity; however, there is insufficient data regarding their levels in type 2 diabetic patients. This study aimed to measure salivary Immunoglobulin G (IgG) and Immunoglobulin A (IgA) in diabetic patients in comparison to healthy nondiabetic controls. Methods: Diabetic patients from the outpatient clinic and nondiabetic healthy members of staff, were recruited for this study. Unstimulated saliva samples were collected from all participants and levels of immunoglobulins A and G were determined using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay techniques; the values were compared between the two groups. Results: A total of 167 participants were recruited for this study, 95 (56.9%) of them were diabetic patients, while the remaining 72 (43.1%) were healthy nondiabetic controls. The median salivary IgA was 12.57 (Interquartile range [IQR] 11.05–13.67) g/ml in the diabetics and 11.94 (IQR 10.41–13.65) μg/ml in the control group; P = 0.31 while the median salivary IgG was 32.27 (IQR 25.26–38.33) μg/ml in the diabetics and 26.26 (22.48–31.29) μg/ml in the control group; P < 0.001. Conclusion: Salivary IgG was significantly elevated in the diabetic patients, in spite of a higher prevalence of oral infections, this calls for a more stringent attention to oral hygiene in diabetic patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed522    
    Printed18    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded35    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal