• Users Online: 73
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 31  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 447-454

Risk perception on breast cancer and acceptance of screening with mammogram by female nurses in tertiary health facilities in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria


1 Department of Anatomical Pathology and Forensic Medicine, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
2 Department of Internal Medicine, King Fahad Hospital Hofuf, Al Asha Region, Saudi Arabia
3 Department of Community Medicine, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Barnabas Mafala Mandong
Department of Anatomical Pathology and Forensic Medicine, Jos University Teaching Hospital, P.M.B. 2076, Jos, Plateau State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/NJM.NJM_44_22

Rights and Permissions

Background: Breast cancer remains the major cause of cancer morbidity and mortality among women globally. The risk of breast cancer increases with advancing age. Screening programs have been demonstrated to significantly reduce breast cancer mortality. Aim: The main objective was to assess risk perception and acceptance of mammogram as a screening tool for the early detection of breast cancer among female nurses working in three tertiary health facilities in the city of Jos. The study also determined the factors that impede the acceptance of mammogram. Materials and Methods: Self-administered semi-structured questionnaires were administered at random to 450 female nurses across the three tertiary health facilities in the city of Jos. The questionnaires were structured into six sections, namely sociodemographic, knowledge of the risk of breast cancer, mammogram use and acceptance barriers to the use of mammogram, and possible obstacles to the utilization of mammogram. The resources were scored and graded accordingly. Results: A total of 450 nurses participated with the median age of the participants as 28 years (23–39), 66.7% were younger than 35 years of age, and 54.4% were single. The educational background showed that 53.6% had bachelor's degrees and the remaining had diplomas (46.4%). On risk perception, only 40.7% of the respondents had a good perception of risk factors for breast cancer, while 59.3% had a poor perception. Only 52 (11.6%) of the 450 participants have ever had a form of the mammogram. Conclusion: The study showed that less than half of the respondents had a good perception on the risk of breast cancer and also the rate mammogram acceptance was very low.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed138    
    Printed4    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded18    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal